Thursday, April 19, 2012

I have found the articles or posts on google reader to be very interesting. Many of the articles gave me information that I feel will be very beneficial to me when I begin teaching in my own classroom. Many of the things that I worry about are classroom management, teaching strategies, and motivating students. I have been able to find many posts that address these concerns. One sight is titled Guided Reading which is a strategy for teaching reading. During guided reading the teacher selects and introduces texts to readers, supports them while reading the text, engage the student in discussion, and performs mini-lessons before, during, and after reading. I found two interesting posts from Teachers At Risk. The first one was about a teacher method called the flipped classroom strategy. I absolutely loved reading how you can flip the classroom by doing homework in school and watching lectures via internet at home. It is very interesting. The next article was dealing with handling stress and avoiding burning out in class. Can anger cause teacher burnout is the name of the article. This post is written by a teacher about her experience but it makes you think about how easy we let things that are beyond our control get us to the point where we are stressed out. I think that this post was my favorite. It was titled 20 Fun free apps to promote student centered learning and literacy. The post have lesson ideas along with the free apps and a description of the apps and how it can be applied in the classroom. The last post was from a site titled Math is not a four letter word. In this post it compared numeracy to literacy. This article just talked about how much we use math, even when we are not even thinking about it. I thought it was quite interesting.

2 comments:

  1. I also worry about classroom management being an issue when I start teaching. As teachers, we have to deal with many concerns. In today's society, children are a lot different from when we were in school.I think it's best to be firm, but caring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very interested in the flipped classroom strategy. As I was reading your post it crossed my mind about the students who do not have internet access at home. After visiting the link it cleared that up for me. The students who do not have internet access were allowed to watch the videos at school. It seems as if they have it all covered. The number of student failures went down from using the flipped classroom method. Student achievement increased that is the goal of what we do on a daily basis. I am going to try to find out more information on this strategy. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete